Babies change so fast as infants. It can be challenging to keep up with the schedule and routine changes. Every month brings new milestones, schedule changes, feeding times, and nap times. I am sharing this 6-month-old baby feeding + sleeping sample schedule for parents. This is a great resource to compare or foresee what your baby might be doing at five or six-months-old.
This article contains affiliate links.
6-Month-Old Baby Feeding + Sleeping Sample Schedule Details
I follow a feed, awake, sleep schedule from early on in my children’s life, to help teach them the difference between day and night. This schedule has worked well to help both of my children sleep through the night, by fourteen-weeks-old. If you would like to read more about the topic of sleeping through the night, I also have an article called Survival Guide for Sleep Deprived Parents: 7 Strategies to Help Your Baby Sleep Through the Night. Even my son, who was born three weeks early and had many colic-like symptoms was able to thrive on this schedule.
Defining the parts of the 5 or 6-Month-Old Baby Feeding + Sleeping Sample Schedule
For the purpose of this sample schedule for 6-month-old babies, when I mention feeding, I am talking about the baby drinking milk (formula or breast milk). Although, you may also be introducing solids at this time in the baby’s life too. That will be something you can insert into the schedule as you and your health care provider decide is appropriate for your child. When I refer to awake time, I am talking about the time the baby is awake. I will also provide ideas for this time, later in the article. Finally, when I refer to sleeping that is the time that the child is asleep.Loving this free printable 6-month-old baby feeding + sleeping sample schedule for parents!… Click To Tweet
Sample Routine for a Five or Six-Month-Old Baby
7:15 Baby wakes up. Feed and change diaper
7:15-9:15 Awake (see list of ideas below)
11:15 Feed and change diaper
11:30-1:30 Awake (see list of ideas below)
3:30 Feed and change diaper
3:30-6:00 Awake (see list of ideas below)
6:30 Feed and change diaper
6:30-8:00 Awake (see list of ideas below)
8:00 New diaper + Pajamas + Final feeding
Awake time ideas:
- Highchair time
- Pack-n-play time
- Bumbo time
- Boppy time
- Tummy time
- Jumper time
- Exersaucer time
- Read books
- Sing songs
- Practice eating
- Stroller ride
- Practice a milestone
- Sensory play
Tips for Implementing the sample schedule:
- This schedule is made as an outline to follow. Please watch and listen to your baby to adjust as necessary.
- Times may vary by 30-40 minutes on a daily basis.
- As the baby grows from five months to six months, the awake time may grow also from 1.5 hours to 2 hours. Adjust based on cues from the baby. If they are rubbing eyes, getting fussy, crying, or yawning near the sleep time, then they are most likely ready for bed.
- If my baby is going through a growth spurt or I did not get the recommended number of feedings in during the day because of extended naps, then I cluster feed at night. An example of what this might look like is feeding at 6:00, 7:00, and then the final feeding before bed at 8:00.
- Get to know your baby’s cues for when they are hungry or sleepy so you can easily adjust the schedule as needed.
Wrapping up the schedule for a 5 or 6-Month-Old Infant
The overall daily schedule will follow the general flow of eating, being awake, then sleeping, as suggested by this book. It is best to adjust this schedule based on the wake-up time of your baby and his or her hunger and sleep cues. By creating a schedule such as this one, you will be able to predict ideal times for life events like doctor appointments, errands, play dates and more.
P.S. If you enjoyed this article, you may also like Survival Guide for Sleep Deprived Parents: 7 Strategies to Help Your Baby Sleep Through the Night.
Please note that this is for informational purposes only. Please consult your health care provider before implementing any changes for your family.